Every movie we watch seems to give the ideolgy that love is something that has a mind of its own; that it "finds" two individuals and spins them into a web of emotion from which they may never be able to escape, nor would they want to. The fairytale many people long for is where love captures them even before they really know the one that they supposedly "love". The whole idea of love at first sight is where you literally fall head first into a pool of feeling right at the first glance you take at this special individual. It is almost saying that there are supernatural entities involved, since logically: how could somebody love someone for who they are without actually KNOWING who they are?...
Personally, I pride myself as a romantic, but if I were to say that love at first sight isnt actually what people make it to be, would that make me cynical? I'm all for the belief that love is more than natural and that is an almost magical aspect of life, but I do think that there is some logic involoved, since afterall, as humans we are also somewhat logical (most of the time).
Couldn't it be that love at first sight is actually realized later on when a relationship develops and not literally at the first sighting of this special individual? What I am trying to say is this: When two people meet, they do exactly that, and just meet. There may be a rush of pheromones that causes them to have a strong attraction to one another and a very severe curiosity to learn more, but I dont think that just by seeing someone from a distance or even closeup, we could possibly know that we love them.
The catch to this is the key that we may not KNOW that we love them. I believe that we are destined to be with certain people and there is a certain plan that makes us meet and lose designated individuals throughout our lives; individuals who will somehow change us or effect us, be it positively or negatively. But when you do meet your "soulmate" or whatever you'd like to call it, the realization that you loved them at first sighting, probably wont happen until later on, when you really get to know that person.
What I am trying to say is that love is something beyond human control and perception, and I don't think that we will ever be able to truly understand it, but since most of the time, the human decision process does involve at least a bit of logic, the way love affects us should be the same way. Love at first sight is a realization later down the road, when two people actually have the time to develop feelings for one another and not just based of a lustful encounter or a rush of hormones that they may have during their first moment of eye contact. What this means it that when they do fall in love, they realize that they have actually loved each other since they first met.
I completely agree with this post! And I always say I believe in love at first sight, but you're right. In reality that can't exactly exist because you need to know a person in order to truly love them. In movies it's just cuter to show a person meeting someone and instantly knowing that they're the one for you :) haha not exactly realistic though.. but yay for being a romantic!
ReplyDelete