The game of love is one that has been played by men and women throughout history. There have been constant battles, figurative and literal, over simple misunderstandings of each sexes true emotion. I have experienced the madness on both ends, the utter lack of understanding that both men and women have of the opposite sex. We seem to base our love lives off of pure assumption, ESPECIALLY at the beginning stages when a relationship really first begins to blossom.
The one thing that both sexes seem to very frequently do, is label their own experiences as the “exception” to the rule. As a human race, many of us are attracted to what we do not completely understand, while at the same time it scares us. This logic is one that can definitely be applied to the dating world, since even now I can say that it almost excites me to think, “Who will be my next girlfriend?” or the even bigger question, “who will be the one I fall in love with?”. Who will be that person? Do I know them? Could they be even closer than I imagine? The answer to all these questions is: I have NO idea. This is where it kills most people. The fact that they cannot plan a part of their life that is so incredibly crucial to their existence is something that is terrifying and at the same time exciting to many people.
When I mentioned the “exception”, what I meant was the typical romantic comedy scenario we have been programmed to love. Even men, as much as we refuse to admit it, do look up to movies like “Titanic” or even “No Strings Attached”. Where we go wrong in our interpretation of such films is that we take it as being the rule, where in real life it is actually the exception.
The one thing that the characters in the romantic comedies, and novels, and stories all seem to have in common, is that they are completely and utterly oblivious to the existence of this “game”. They are the ones who live hardest by the rules, and therefore are the first ones to break them. Just because we want to love, doesn’t mean that it will always magically come find us. As people, what we need to learn is that love is in fact all around us, but because of this “game” that was created along with the existence of mankind, we cannot always sit and wonder why we aren’t a part of that story that is truly the exception to the rule. In the end of day the ones who live strongest by the rule, are the ones who more easily become the exception.
I think that all relationships are actually the exception. Too often people become dissatisfied with their own relationships only because they compare it to other people's experiences. Everyone is different. Everyone needs a different kind of partner to satisfy them. No rules, people just need to figure out what works for them and appreciate when they have it.
ReplyDelete